Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Gluten Free Bread

Well my first question on discovering that we needed to go Gluten Free was: "What about bread?"  Sandwiches are a staple in any school lunchbox and my daughter was fussy at the best of times.  Over the past few months I have tried many.  Supermarket and Store prices are usually very high ($6-$9 per loaf) and the loaves are quite small.  So for a family of reduced income this was difficult.  I decided that I would have to start making my own.  So I started trialling different brands of bread mixes.  I found one that worked well called The Real Bread Mix by Spring Hill Farm.  It was available from Coles for about $4.50.  It took me a while to figure out that Gluten Free Baking takes much longer that Normal Flour Baking.  In my oven at the recommended temperature it took about 75 minutes to cook a loaf evenly.  (My first attempt was a complete flop - literally. When it came out of the oven it looked perfect but within about 20 minutes the sides had sucked in till it was only about 1" thick and it was all doughy inside).  I also started making my own pizzas using this bread mix, all you need to do is reduce the water to 400ml to create a drier dough and after the rise period press it out onto floured pizza trays.  It's also a good idea to put the tray onto a pizza stone in the oven to create a more even and intense heat under the tray.  Since then I have continued to try different bread mixes that have been suggested to me.  My kids favourite is FG Roberts Cottage Bread Mix as it replicates a normal white bread in look and feel, although not completely perfectly.  Most people wouldn't know though


Tips on bread making from my trials and tribulations in the kitchen are these.  
1.  Get a good quality bread tin (600g Size) from a baker or breadmaking shop.  
2.  Put a roasting tin in the bottom of the oven and when you put your loaf into the oven, pour 1/4 cup of water into the roasting tin under your loaf (this creates moisture which browns the top of the bread).

No comments:

Post a Comment